2.1

I went to your Bolingbrook Illinois location after an extensive search for my first gun. My first experience at this store was wonderful. Steve took over an hour to go through a variety of guns that would work best for me and did not make me feel pressured or rushed.

When I finally decided and wanted to purchase, I returned to this location. A gentleman named Tom was the most condescending jerk I’ve ever encountered. My husband came with me and Tom asked him if he needed any help when I was clearly the one standing at the counter waiting. Once he saw it was me, he was totally dismissive and talked down to me like I was a child (I’m 41 years old). Asked me at least 4 times if I was sure the gun was for me, to which I replied yes, then he takes a cardboard poster that describes the penalties for lying, puts it down in front of my face and says “read it.” He then asked “who’s that guy with you, your boyfriend or something?” Again, I am 41 and have been married for 17 years. I’m pretty sure shopping with your spouse isn’t a crime. He asks if my husband has a FOID card and I told him no. Why would he need one? He’s not purchasing. If a man was shopping with his wife, would the wife get the same amount of scrutiny from this jerk? Highly doubtful.

Ultimately, although it’s MY gun, MY FOID, MY background check and MY money, he denies me because his “observation” is that I’m trying to make a straw purchase for my husband.

Tom had a chip on his shoulder from the second he approached me at the counter and was completely out of line, rude, inappropriate, and on the cusp of blatant discrimination.

I will never set foot in your store again as long that you find this kind of “customer service” to be okay. While you are entitled to decline someone for any reason, discriminating by gender is ILLEGAL. You might want to put Tom through some sensitivity training before someone sues you.

Review about: Bass Pro Shops Customer Care.

Comments

BassProShopsCares
Bass Pro Shops Verified Representative

We apologize for the customer service you received in one of our retail stores.So that we may address the situation with the store manager and our Retail Administration, please email us at basspro@custhelp.com.

Please include your name, daytime phone number, and a brief description of the issue and location in which it occurred.

Thank you, have a great day.–ANA