Hudson, Texas

This is the first customer complaint to any company I have ever made so Bass Pro Shops, welcome to my first review! I purchased a 15 ft jon boat and a mercury 9.9 motor.

Purchase date October 15, 2015. My dad always had Mercury motors and he recommended them. So, I bought one. My first service event was 4 months after purchase, the engine would not start and would blow raw fuel out the exhaust into the water.

After two weeks, BPS called and said they could not find any problems with the motor. So, when I picked it up, I asked the technician to show me that it would start, it did, second pull! 30 Seconds later, it started sputtering and then spilled fuel out the exhaust and then quit. After 25 pulls, it started again.

He ordered and replaced the carburetor. He said it was a defective part and it was covered under warranty. Great! Another 7 months go buy and the motor quits.

Would not start. Took it in, again the carburetor was "contaminated" with ethanol gas and needed replacement. The service manager said that it is not covered under warranty. $450.00 later, I have my motor back.

I spoke to the service manager, he said they deal with this problem all the time. He said " pull the fuel hose and let it run out gas". When I picked it up, the technician said, no to that recommendation, he said "add fuel stabilizer to the gas". I said okay!

So I went on line to read the ethanol fuel recommendations for Mercury Outboards. It clearly stated that fuel additives do not resolve contamination of the fuel system but help to prevent water in the gas. So here I am with a relatively NEW Mercury motor, out of warranty, have spent nearly 1/5 the original cost to repair it, I have no confidence that Bass Pro Shops can reliably maintain it, and feely really bad that I even bought a Mercury outboard! You really don't want me to be used as a referral and not sure that I will ever recommend BPS to my friends or purchase from you again.

Rick Benson, Houston Texas 281-772-3245. rickbenson12@hotmail.com - You can check with BPS Service in Pearland TX for service receipts.

Product or Service Mentioned: Mercury Marine Outboard Motor.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments

Kloee

Good morning, anonymous. We are very sorry to hear of the poor experience you have had and the issues with your Mercury motor.

We would like to take this opportunity to forward your comments to our Tracker Customer Service team for review. Please email us at your convenience at basspro@custhelp.com. Please mention this post and include any pertinent details that you would like passed along, including your contact information.

We look forward to hearing from you! -BNM

Bass Pro Shops Reviews