Bass Pro Shops - Bait and switch shotgun on sale for $999, rung up $1399.

The current ad features a Winchester model 101 ultimate Field or Sporting 12 ga. with 28" or 30" barrel for $999. I called and they had the 28" on display. I drove to the store and shouldered this shotgun. It fit me and I wanted it, but in the 30" length. The salesperson went to the storage area and found it in 30". He opened up the box and I liked it. He then offered an extra $100 discount if I opened a Bass Pro charge that day. He said it would bring the price to $899.

I agreed to purchase it and we began the lengthy process to open the charge, get Fed approval for the purchase, and finally pay for the shotgun. The Fed online approval had some glitches and it took many times to get through the process. I finally got to pay and the register rung up $1399.

The salesperson looked at the fine print under the description in the ad and pointed out the price on the "Sporting" was shown as $1399. It was not identified as the only way to get the 30" barrel however. I declined the upcharge and left the store with a useless new charge card.

Two people witnessed this entire process and told me they hate to go to Bass Pro, but had a gift card to redeem. After seeing how I was treated, they were thinking of throwing their card away and going Cabella's.

I will never go back to Bass Pro.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Layout of Store

• What I liked
      No items
  • What I disliked
    • Sales people who are not aware of their advertising and pricing

Reason of review:
Pricing issue
Preferred solution:
Deliver product or service ordered
Product or service
Winchester Model 101 12 Ga Shotgun
Review category
review #900289 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Bass Pro Shops? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in

Oct 23 #1230916 Riverside, California

Educate yourself before making any purchase... The Sporting has a higher MSRP than the Field grade, many more advanced features, and the Field grade is only available in 26" and 28" models.
Ignorance does not equate to bait and switch, sorry.

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.